|LONGVIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
6240 South Longview Drive (560 East)
Murray, UT 84107
LONGVIEW FAST FACTS:
- Principal: Chad Sanders
- School Secretary: Sharon Gillen
- School schedule:8:40 AM to 3:10 PM; no Preparation Day
- Enrollment: 422 students KG-6th grade (2017-18 school year)
- Kindergarten: Half-days only 8:40-11:25 AM & 12:25-3:10 PM
- School promotion: Hillcrest Junior High or Riverview Junior High (depending on address) & Murray High School
- Mascot: Longview Lynx
- School Colors: Black & Yellow
- Built: 1962
A BRIEF HISTORY OF LONGVIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL:
With a passing of a bond in 1959, the Murray District moved forward to build a Longview Elementary in the midst of several new subdivisions in the city’s southeast corner. The estimated $400,000 cost was paid from local funds, and the ten-room school building was competed in 1961 to serve the new communities and help alleviate over-crowding in other schools.
By the 1980s, the school-age population of Murray had shifted primarily to the west, while east-side elementary schools, such as Longview, had room to spare. Longview became one of the first two Murray schools to be awarded Centennial School status in 1996. The school has an unusually high participation of staff and volunteer alumni, including Richard Tranter, a Longview teacher and K-6 alum who became superintendent District from 1998 through 2011.
Longview is a school of traditions, including the popular Shakespeare Festival for sixth graders. The school’s new principal, Mr. Sanders, has started a 6th grade student council.
Past and future patrons of Longview Elementary School find a welcoming environment with strong community ties and unmistakable optimism for a bright future!